Gordon Frickers, résumée, resume, The Art, the man, marine art and landscape specialist, a calling to entertain, inform & inspire.
A special moment, a special place, in your life?
If you like what you see here, I and many others can assure you, you will love your new original.
To reassure you;
“At last I have a real painting in my house!” T.M., Wiltshire, England speaking of “Nelson at Gibraltar” ; and “Schooner Race” to be the centre piece of a new house
I got it safe and sound! The painting is magnificent and stunning. Each aspect of the painting exceeds my expectations. While your paintings are beautiful to look at over the internet, the actual painting has a warmth that can only be felt by seeing the real thing.
Unusual among today’s painters, it has been my good fortune to produce many paintings that have become famous and will endure thus are excellent investments.
My good fortune has and still is to work for and with many distinguished individuals some of whom have become friends and many famous companies.
Three parts to this page,
2. “in brief” and
3. The art of and Gordon Frickers in more detail:
It is very unlikely you will find the art of Gordon Frickers listed with auction houses.
It is though fair to state, over the past 30 years the artwork of Gordon Frickers has proven a wise buy, has a growing following with a bright future as an investment.
More likely you will have seen the art of Gordon Frickers in the press, in books, on the Internet, on TV or other media and the best galleries.
The full list of publications is so considerable as to be near impossible to keep track of; some of the high points are presented to you on this page, enjoy.
There is a formidable list of distinguished individuals and famous companies, many mentioned below, who own examples of his work.
The author of “Life On The Ocean Wave” ISBN 0-978-0-9569109-0-5 is Gordon Frickers.
Gordon Frickers has also written numerous articles for journals and magazines as varied as Sea Breezes, Yachting Monthly and the 1805 Club of North America Journal.
Your best value is to buy from an established, acclaimed artist, from a reputable, dedicated artist.
2. Gordon Frickers in Brief:
- All the paintings, some more than others, are given a unique quality by Gordon’s special colour vision, gifts he shares with some of the great masters of the past.
- One of the very few British artists and the first and only marine artist invited to exhibit at the European Parliament, Brussels (May 2011).
“Frickers paintings are marks of our achievement as a people”, Brian Simpson MEP, chairman of the European Parliament Transport and Tourism Committee.
- For over 15 years Gordon Frickers was the only artist member of the British Marine Federation, Super yacht UK and the Marine Trade Federation, having worked qualified as a ship and boat builder then 10 years in the marine industry building and racing sailboats, employing 9 staff.
Gordon Frickers is special:
- Because of his commitment, the range and depth of his knowledge of painting, drawing, of colour and Art History,
- Because he benefits from the creativity of working in parallel on two approaches, spontaneous works coupled with planned meticulous attention.
- Because Gordon Frickers has naturally a special form of colour vision, a trait he shares with some of the great masters of the past.
“Our efforts with the painting were highly successful” ~ Sir Robin Knox-Johnston.
3. The art of and Gordon Frickers in more detail:
In recent years Gordon Frickers has for good reasons, become increasingly well known and appreciated.
You can be confident that if you enjoy what you see on this web site, you will not forget seeing an original painting and experience the full force of his commitment.
There are the often surprising colours and textures, the lustre, depth, meticulous attention, detail, atmospheres and by no means least, his perception.
Gordon’s work is noted for many qualities that engage us and stimulate our imagination.
These qualities include a rare vivid sense of emotional and physical presence, a knack of combining abstraction with precise detail, including often ground breaking research and attention that goes way beyond normal, lighting, depth and luminosity.
Gordon Frickers is: Currently among other things “Picturesque Wine Villages of Bordeaux.
This is an ambitious and novel approach that offers considerable scope for combined exhibitions with products of the region, wines, food, tourism and those who work with the appropriate industries, chefs, authors, journalists and so on.
A large subject with grand potential including for sponsors.
Recent clients include:
- Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, [“I’d love another Frickers painting” ~ he ordered two more]
- Tim Maltin, author of three books about R M S Titanic.
- Tracy Edwards MBE for Maiden Rescue (May 2017)
- Count [Comte et Comtesse] Charles-Octave de Noblet d’Anglure.
- Pete Goss (MBE & Legion d’Honore); Pete Goss said “I got exactly the painting I had hoped for“.
- Princess Anne, The Princess Royal.
- H.M.S. Somerset (Officer’s Mess), gift to the retiring commander.
- BAE Systems; BVT Surface Fleet Ltd (formally BAE Systems Surface Fleet Solutions).
- The Ministry of Defence for the Armada de Chile, a gift, (HMS Marlborough to Almirante Condell).
- Devonport Royal Dockyard, now Pendennis Shipyard, (gift to a client).
- His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said
- Pictures in National collections in GB and France.
- Gordon Frickers is the choice of many renowned organisations and distinguished individuals.
For memorable fine art of enduring worth “contact us” or better, speak with or meet Gordon Frickers,
land line: (France) 0033 6 10 66 19 26 , General enquiries text or phone for attention to (France) 0033 6 10 66 19 26).
E: artistfrickers at gmail.com
Examples of Gordon Frickers marine painting are in:
The Lapérouse museum, Albi, France Dec 2019.
Bermuda Maritime Museum ( a copy of “I Have Urgent Dispatches”).
Government of Oman (various public buildings)
Armada de Chile (National Navy of Chile)
City of Brest, Maison de Fontaine
Le Musée du Cap Horn at St Malo ( a copy of “Roaring Forties”).
La Maire de Sauternes, Bordeaux
Hôtel de Ville, L’isle sur Tarn
Clients and Patrons
Frickers list of distinguished clients and patron’s was described by Audrey Hinks of Gallerie Marin (Appledore) as “formidable”, they include:
- Sir Robin Knox-Johnston ~ “I’d love another Frickers painting“
- Deloitte & Touché,
- Old Mutual plc
- The Princess Royal, Princess Anne ~ “the princess was over the moon“.
- The Ministry of Defence
- His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said.
- His Highness Shiek Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani.
- Government of Oman.
- H.M.S. Victory
- Count [Comte et Comtesse] Charles-Octave de Noblet d’Anglure
- British Telecom (Marine) Ltd.
- Devonport Royal Dockyard Ltd
- Babcock Marine
- Cunard Line
- Tracy Edwards, MBE ~ “It makes me feel I’m back on board!“
- Pete Goss, OBE, legion d’Honor, “I got exactly the painting I’d hoped for“.
- Royal Naval Fleet Air Arm (Culdrose, HMS Seahawk mess for the Princess Royal)
- City of Chester (Civic reception for “The Port of Chester 1863“)
- Sir Richard Branson
- Yachting World
- Peter Goodwin, author, former Keeper of HMS Victory
- Sam Willis, author
- Captain Igor Kozyr, author
- David J B Smith, author
- Detlef Hechtel, author
- Your name isn’t here?
- Pendennis Shipyard
- The New York Yacht Club
- H.M.S. Somerset (Officer’s mess).
- The Times Clipper Ventures
- Mairie de Sauternes,with the mayor.
- Registered supplied to BVT Surface Fleet Ltd (formally BAE Systems Surface Fleet Solutions)
- Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd
- Tim Maltin [Maltin PR] (paintings of the Titanic).
- Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing
- Maiden G.B. (Tracy Edwards)
- Blue Arrow, America’s Cup Challenger.
- The National Trust
- Imperial Tobacco (Award won)
- Devonport Management Ltd.
- Marine Projects (now known as Princess Yachts)
- Coe Metcalf Shipping Ltd.
- Corum – French Admirals Cup Sponsor.
- Henri Lloyd Ltd.
- Sail Training Association
- La Maire de Sauternes
- CPC (United Kingdom) Limited (name changed in 1998 to Best Foods Inc
- The Chilean Navy
- Peter de Savery
- Royle Publications Ltd
- Gordon Fraser Gallery
- Michael McNamara Sails
Gordon Frickers is listed in: Debrett’s Distinguished People of Today & Who’s Who Art and Antiques and on Wikipedia.
“I got exactly the painting I’d hoped for” speaking of “Spirit of Mystery“, Pete Goss, MBE, Legion d’Honour.
- Of Almirante Condell departing Portsmouth:
“The Condell painting went down a real treat.
The Chileans were very
impressed and Capt Cruz the commanding officer was over the moon and said he
was going to have it welded to the wardroom bulkhead so none of the
Admirals, and there were six Chilean Admirals present, could get their
fingers on it.” ~ Captain J.A.B. Simkins.
Of The Cable Ship “Nexus” on the Mersey: “The composition and the quality of your painting is quite simply stunning and has deeply impressed everyone who has seen it.
The detail, lighting and colours deserve particular attention.
The inclusion of another CMS vessel in the background is a delightful touch as is the choice of venue.” ~
T.C. Hart, Managing Director of Coe Metcalf Shipping Ltd
Of “Benmacdhui” at Hong Kong: “I was able to show my son the cabin I sweated out my first voyage” ~
J. Morrison (N.Z.)
Of the print Clansman departing Castlebay: “I have now received the print of ‘The Clansman Leaving Castlebay‘,
and I am extremely pleased with the result.
The print has already been well admired by my family and friends.
It will probably look even better once it is mounted and framed.
Thanking you again for all your assistance and I am so pleased that
there was a successful conclusion to all your efforts.” ~
Of Ice Maiden: “It makes me feel I’m back on board!” ~
Tracy Edwards, skipper of the record breaking yacht Maiden.
“The renowned marine artist” ~ Queen Elizabeth II Daily Programme.
Birth and Education
Gordon Frickers was Born Beckenham, Kent in 1949
Gordon Frickers was educated at:
- Maidstone College of Fine Art (now part of Kent Institute of Art & Design): Fine art, graphics and photography.
- Medway College: Visual Communication, Photography for advertising & media.
- Falmouth Technical College: Ship & Boat Building.
- Montmiral School of Painting (South West France): Drawing and colour.
- Plymouth College of Further Education: Internet, E business, web site construction, PC office skills.
- RYA coach and instructor (dinghies and powercraft).
- UKTI / Businesslink: Management, export, e commerce and web site skills.
- During higher education, Gordon Frickers learnt to sail at Dartmouth and around the Medway and Swale with the last true British sailor men, the last generation of men who worked without engines, under sail with cargo.
- This was on the same waters Drake, Cook and Nelson learnt their small boat handling.
- Assistant photographer, various central London advertising studios.
- Falmouth: A GP photographer and later press photography for Beaverbrook Western, the Packet Group.
- Sailor, boat builder, shipwright and man of the sea: Dinghies, Yachts, mostly racing, Square Riggers (including what was then the world’s oldest, Maria Asumpta), Merchant & Cruise Ships.
- After time with Bromley Boats Ltd, six years as Founder and Director of South East Boat Builders Ltd, Rye.
- Gradually he became a master shipwright and marine and art historian
- 4 years with the R.A.C.
- 30 + years freelance painter particularly noted for marine subjects.
TV and Radio
- Interviewed regularly by Gordon Sparks on BBC SW Radio Devon.
For example Gordon Sparks with Gordon Frickers, a classic on 9 October 2008
- >The Boats that Built Britain Episode 2 <, “The Trafalgar News”, a BBC documentary narrated by Tom Cunliffe first Broadcast 4 April 2010.
Gordon Frickers Teaching and public speaking
Gordon Frickers likes meeting with people of all ages, his style is interactive, engaging and involving his audience.
Unlike many fellow painters Gordon has not followed a career in teaching art choosing to focus on his painting and associated skills.
He has occasionally taught in schools and Adult Education Centres, given talks, lectures and has successfully taught marine painting as evening classes in Plymouth.
His Awards include:
- Four times chosen Yachting World/Rolex-Swan prize artist.
- 1st prize (oils) 1995 Cornish Society of Artists.
- Roll of Honour 1996, City of Plymouth; for “Outstanding Contribution to the City of Plymouth”.
- Concours Photo 2015, La ville de Gaillac. (Subject « Le jardin de tous les plaisirs »
Exhibitions, a summary:
Gordon Frickers has exhibited (mostly one man shows) at various Yacht Clubs, Galleries and and on ships including the Queen Elizabeth 2.
- Vin, au Chateaux, Gaillac, December 2016, at the invitation of the municipal, ville de Gaillac.
- Army & Navy Club, St. James, Pall Mall, London, ‘The Trafalgar Soiree‘, 28 October 2016
- European Parliament first marine artist invited May 2011.
- British Ambassador’s Residence, Paris Dec 2009.
- Buckingham Palace (Sept 1991), invitation of Prince Philippe.
- London International Boat Show (several times most notably 1991 with “Roaring Forties“)~ The Times (of London) referred to “Roaring Forties” as “Dry Humour…“)
- Hotel de Ville, Lisle sur Tarn
- The World Ship Society, Falmouth AGM.
- Chester Town Hall, including a Civic Reception July 1993 (90 prints sold).
- Cornish Society of Artists [award won].
- Plymouth City Museum.
- Maison de la Fontaine, City of Brest, France, July 1996.
- The Mount Batten Watersport Centre, Plymouth
- Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes.
- Royal Plymouth Corinthian Yacht Club.
- Royal Society of Marine Artists at Pall Mall London (regularly during the early 1990’s).
- On board the ships “QE2“, “HMS Victory” “Cutty Sark” and the brig “Maria Asumpta“.
- The 1864, Jerusalem
- Hôtel de Ville L’ile sur Tarn.
- Le Mairie, Sauternes.
- Gallerie Marin, Appledore.
- See press cuttings ~ the list is hard to keep up to date but gives you a general idea.
- Yachting Monthly [May 2019]
- Lloyd’s List International 1991 wrote: “Gordon has more than a casual affinity with Britain’s Seafarer’s”.
- The Times, Tuesday 18 July 1989 (Half page about “Roaring Forties”).
- Most recent include:
- SEA HISTORY 132, AUTUMN 2010, (National Maritime Historical Society of the USA)
- Warships International Fleet Review April 2015
- Western Morning News, June 2015
- La Depeche, Tarn, France, profile 08/2014
- Sea Breezes May 2013
- Warships International Fleet Review April 2013
- Geography Directions, site for the Royal Geographic Society, 11 Sept 2012 (review of Emigration, Plymouth Cattewater).
- Warships IFR, Sept 2011, 3 page colour spread.
- Sea Breezes June 2011, 3 page colour spread.
- Yachting World May 2011
- Yachting Monthly May 2011
- Marine Quarterly, May 32011.
- Yachting Monthly May 2011 (“Iconic painting”).
- Superyacht Business, the Best of British 2009/10.
- Warships International Fleet Review April 2015
- Warships International Fleet Review, profile July 2011
- Warships International Fleet Review April 2013
- Castine Historical Society Newsletter March 2015 (CHS Visitor Spring15_finalWeb 15.03.15)
- NZZ am Sonntag, Postfach, CH – 8021 Zürich, 17 June 2018
- www.superyachtuk.com, “Gordon Frickers honours Golden Globe Race with painting” 08.11.2018
- 1805 Club of North America journal, February 2019
- Cape Horn Society Journal June 2019
- “My sincere thanks go to to all the journalists who have recognised and done what they can to publicise my talents and potential“, Gordon Frickers.
- Quote: “Why didn’t you tell me you are the artist who painted the iconic “Roaring Forties“? – Dick Durham, editor, Yachting World.
See also Appraisals.
Books his work appears in many books including:
- ‘The Corsair‘, (cover page) published by Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing in Arabic, a best seller, now available in English.
- The Nelson Almanac, edited by David Harris, Picture editor Anthony Cross, published in association with the Warwick Leadley Gallery, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in 1998,
- Nelson’s Ships, P Goodwin, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in GB 2002.
- Ships of Trafalgar, P. Goodwin, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in 2005,
- Fighting Ships 1750-1850,
Author: Sam Willis with an introduction by N.A.M. Rodger, Quercus Publishing Plc, 2007, ISBN 1847241719
- Frozen Fury – convoy PQ-13, (Cover Page) John Haynes, Russian translation by Captain 1st Rank (ret) Igor Kozyr, Gangut, St. Petersburg. ISBN 9 785904 180379
- Life on the Ocean Waves, G S A Frickers, ISBN 0956910904, Published 23 May 2011
- Signale der Seefahrt, (Signals at Sea), Detlef Hechtel, May 2017, ISBN 978 3 86927 423 2, www.oceanum.de
- Others include books in India, in Dubai (Published Bloomsbury and Quercus Publishing PLC)
- In France in the national school text book for 14 to 18 year students, Histoire-géographie EMC 2de bac pro 15362 Dec 2019 [painting of the frigate Hermione].
A few of the other websites his work appears on are:
- and numerous commercial sites such as:
Gordon Frickers Art
Fine art from recognised artists has consistently proven to be one of the very best investments.
There are several qualities that bind the work of this versatile artist including remarkable sensitivity and an intense sense of searching for meaningful response, qualities shared with predecessors Frickers admires.
You can purchase securely (in installments by arrangement) online or bank to bank and are covered by a (probably) unbeatable guarantee.
Quote :Yacht “King of Hearts“: “It is already giving me great pleasure and reminding me to make more time available for the joy of sailing” ~ C.R. King
Gordon Frickers at St Malo, April 2009
Helming Toybox, June 2006
Gordon Frickers 1988
Forgotten Art, a ‘tongue in cheek’ tribute
Gordon Frickers in West Morning News 9 July 2005
Gordon Frickers as a Boat builder
The last boat Gordon Frickers built (1998)
The last boat Gordon Frickers built – interior
In five years she only failed to win 7 races, those ending with 4 seconds, 2 thirds, and a seventh. Boasting, well only a bit !
Gordon Frickers on watch, North Sea, with the Maria Asumpta, at the time the oldest square rigger afloat.
Gordon Frickers at work on board Maria Asumpta.
Gordon Frickers at work with sunflowers, painted by Jill Lane
Men at work, painting the launch of ‘JST Lord Nelson’, BBC filming.
Sir Robin Knox-Johnston & Gordon Frickers 27 Sep 2002, Robin collecting his ‘Frickers’ third painting.
Gordon Frickers is special:
- Because of the range and depth of his knowledge of painting, drawing and of marine subjects
- Because he benefits from the creativity of working in parallel on two approaches
- Because Gordon Frickers has a special form of colour vision
You can learn more by viewing examples of Gordon Frickers art work using the drop downs on the menu galleries above and by generally exploring these 600 pages, more than a website, a resource, welcome, enjoy.
A special moment, a special place, in your life? If you like what you see here, I and many others can assure you, you will love your new original.
You can acquire a splendid masterpiece starting now.
You can commission a painting of quality, courage up, call or email me.
Gordon Frickers © 28.02.2012, updated 20.07.2020
Last Updated on