Gordon Frickers CV/Resume
Gordon Frickers, artist, is currently working on” The Quay of Gaillac 1850“, a 2m x 1 m painting for the foyer of a new wine museum opening 10 April 2014 at Broze near Gaillac and “Picturesque Wine Villages of Bordeaux”, a series of paintings and texts.
By way of introduction for those who don’t know of Gordon Frickers, the renowned Pete Goss recently said “I got exactly the painting I had hoped for“.
Gordon Frickers is:
- One of the very few artists and the first and only marine artist to be invited to exhibit at the European Parliament, Brussels (May 2011).
- Uniquely in the history of HMS Victory, Gordon Frickers was commissioned (1994 to 1998) to work for HMS Victory.
- Featured artist on the Winsor and Newton website.
- The only artist member of the British Marine Federation, SuperyachtUK and the Marine Trade Federation.
- Currently working on “The Quay of Gaillac 1850” and with ‘Picturesque Wine Villages of Bordeaux‘ also a marine art commission and ‘Plymouth Sound’, a book cover for author David J B Smith.
Quote: Brian Simpson MEP, chairman of the European Parliament Transport and Tourism Committee wrote:
“Frickers paintings are marks of our achievement as a people.
Frickers is an ambassador today and for future generations for our marine world“.
Recent clients include:
- Pete Goss (OBE & Legion d’Honore)
- H.M.S. Somerset (Officer’s Mess)
- BVT Surface Fleet Ltd (formally BAE Systems Surface Fleet Solutions); BAE and the Ministry of Defence for the Armada de Chile (HMS Marlborough to Almirante Condell), Devonport Royal Dockyard, Pendennis Shipyard, the government of Oman for official buildings and the Sultan’s yacht.
- His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said
- Pictures in National collections in GB and France.
- Gordon Frickers is the choice of many renowned organisations and distinguished individuals.
“Our efforts with the painting were highly successful” ~ Sir Robin Knox-Johnston
For memorable fine art of enduring worth “contact us” or better, speak with or meet Gordon Frickers, land line: [phone_uk], (mobile [mobile_uk]).
Examples of Gordon Frickers marine painting are in:
- The University of Plymouth
- Le Musée du Cap Horn at St Malo
- La Maire de Sauternes, Bordeaux
- Hôtel de Ville, L’isle sur Tarn
- Government of Oman (various public buildings)
- Armada de Chile (National Navy of Chile)
Clients and Patrons
Frickers list of distinguished clients and patron’s was described by Audrey Hinks of Gallerie Marin (Appledore) as “formidable”, they include:
- Royal Naval Fleet Air Arm (Culdrose, HMS Seahawk mess for the Princess Royal)
- Pete Goss
- Sir Robin Knox-Johnston
- Sir Richard Branson
- Deloitte & Touché
- Yachting World
- The Princess Royal, Princess Anne.
- His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said.
- His Highness Shiek Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani.
- Pendennis Shipyard
- The New York Yacht Club
- H.M.S. Somerset (Officer’s mess).
- The Times Clipper Ventures
- Registered supplied to BVT Surface Fleet Ltd (formally BAE Systems Surface Fleet Solutions)
- Government of Oman.
- Devonport Royal Dockyard Ltd
- Babcock Marine
- Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing.
- British Telecom (Marine) Ltd.
- Maiden G.B. (Tracy Edwards)
- Blue Arrow, America’s Cup Challenger.
- The National Trust
- Imperial Tobacco (Award won)
- Devonport Management Ltd.
- Marine Projects (now known as Princess Yachts)
- Coe Metcalf Shipping Ltd.
- Corum – French Admirals Cup Sponsor.
- Henri Lloyd Ltd.
- Cunard Line
- Sail Training Association
- La Maire de Sauternes
- CPC (United Kingdom) Limited (name changed in 1998 to Best Foods Inc)
- Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd
- H.M.S. Victory
- The Chilean Navy
- Peter de Savery
- City of Chester (Civic reception for “The Port of Chester 1863“)
- Royle Publications Ltd
- Gordon Fraser Gallery
- Michael McNamara Sails
Gordon Frickers is listed in: Debrett’s Distinguished People of Today & Who’s Who Art and Antiques.
- Of Almirante Condell departing Portsmouth:
“The Condell painting went down a real treat.
The Chileans were very
impressed and Capt Cruz the commanding officer was over the moon and said he
was going to have it welded to the wardroom bulkhead so none of the
Admirals, and there were six Chilean Admirals present, could get their
fingers on it.” ~ Captain J.A.B. Simkins.
Of The Cable Ship “Nexus” on the Mersey: “The composition and the quality of your painting is quite simply stunning and has deeply impressed everyone who has seen it.
The detail, lighting and colours deserve particular attention.
The inclusion of another CMS vessel in the background is a delightful touch as is the choice of venue.” ~
T.C. Hart, Managing Director of Coe Metcalf Shipping Ltd
Of “Benmacdhui” at Hong Kong: “I was able to show my son the cabin I sweated out my first voyage” ~
J. Morrison (N.Z.)
Of the print Clansman departing Castlebay: “I have now received the print of ‘The Clansman Leaving Castlebay‘,
and I am extremely pleased with the result.
The print has already been well admired by my family and friends.
It will probably look even better once it is mounted and framed.
Thanking you again for all your assistance and I am so pleased that
there was a successful conclusion to all your efforts.” ~
Of Ice Maiden: “It makes me feel I’m back on board!” ~
Tracy Edwards, skipper of the record breaking yacht “Maiden“.
“The renowned marine artist” ~ Queen Elizabeth II Daily Programme.
Birth and Education
Gordon Frickers was Born Beckenham, Kent in 1949
He was educated at:
- Maidstone College of Fine Art (now part of Kent Institute of Art & Design): Fine art, graphics and photography.
- Medway College: Visual Communication, Photography for advertising & media.
- Falmouth Technical College: Ship & Boat Building.
- Montmiral School of Painting (South West France): Drawing and colour.
- Plymouth College of Further Education: Internet, E business, web site construction, PC office skills.
- RYA coach and instructor (dinghies and powercraft).
- UKTI / Businesslink: Management, export, e commerce and web site skills.
- After Uni: Assistant photographer, various central London advertising studios.
- Falmouth: A GP photographer and latter press for Beaverbrook Western, the Packet Group.
- Sailor, boat builder, ship wright and man of the sea: Dinghies, Yachts, mostly racing, Square Riggers (including what was then the world’s oldest), Merchant & Cruise Ships.
- Gradually became a master shipwright and marine and art historian.
- After time with Bromley Boats, six years as Founder and Director of South East Boat Builders Ltd, Rye.
- 4 years with the R.A.C.
- 30 + years freelance painter particularly noted for marine subjects.
TV and Radio
- Interviewed regularly by Gordon Sparks on BBC SW Radio Devon.
For example Gordon Sparks with Gordon Frickers, a classic on 9 October 2008
- “The Boats that Built Britain Episode 2, The Trafalgar News”, a BBC documentary narrated by Tom Cunliffe Broadcast 4 April 2010
Frickers likes teaching, style is interactive, engaging and involving his audience.
Unlike many fellow painters Gordon has not followed a career in teaching art.
He has occasionally taught in schools and Adult Education Centres, given talks, lectures and has successfully taught marine painting as evening classes!
His Awards include:
- Four times chosen Yachting World/Rolex-Swan prize artist.
- 1st prize (oils) 1995 Cornish Society of Artists.
- Roll of Honour 1996, City of Plymouth; for “Outstanding Contribution to the City of Plymouth”.
Gordon Frickers has exhibited (mostly one man shows) at:
- European Parliament first marine artist invited May 2011.
- British Ambassador’s Residence, Paris Dec 2009.
- Buckingham Palace (Sept 1991).
- London International Boat Show (several times most notably 1991 with “Roaring Forties“).
The Times (of London) referring to “Roaring Forties” as “Dry Humour…”)
- The World Ship Society, Falmouth AGM.
- Chester Town Hall, including a Civic Reception July 1993 (90 prints sold).
- Cornish Society of Artists.
- Plymouth Museum.
- Maison de la Fontaine, City of Brest.
- The Mount Batten Watersport Centre, Plymouth.
- Various Yacht Clubs, Galleries and Exhibitions.
- Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes.
- Royal Plymouth Corinthian Yacht Club.
- Royal Society of Marine Artists at Pall Mall London (regularly during the early 1990′s).
- On board the ships “Cutty Sark“, “QE2“, “HMS Victory” and the brig “Maria Asumpta“,
- The 1864, Jerusalem
- Hôtel de Ville L’ile sur Tarn.
- Le Mairie, Sauternes.
- Gallerie Marin, Appledore.
- See press cuttings ~ the list is hard to keep up to date but gives the general idea.
- Most recent include:
- Sea Breezes May 2013
- Warships International Fleet Review April 2013
- Geography Directions, site for the Royal Geographic Society, 11 Sept 2012 (review of Emigration, Plymouth Cattewater).
- Warships IFR, Sept 2011, 3 page colour spread.
- Sea Breezes June 2011, 3 page colour spread.
- Marine Quarterly, May 32011.
- Yachting Monthly May 2011 (“Iconic painting”).
- Superyacht Business, the Best of British 2009/10.
- Warships International Fleet Review, profile July 2011
“Gordon has more than a casual affinity with Britain’s Seafarer’s”: Lloyd’s List International.
- Our thanks to all the journalists who have recognised and done what they can to publicise the talents of Gordon Frickers.
- “Why didn’t you tell me you are the artist who painted the iconic “Roaring Forties“? – Dick Durham, editor, Yachting World.
See also Appraisals.
Books his work appears in include:
- ‘The Pirate’, (cover page) published by Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing in Arabic, a best seller soon to appear in English.
- The Nelson Almanac, edited by David Harris, Picture editor Anthony Cross, published in association with the Warwick Leadley Gallery, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in 1998,
- Nelson’s Ships, P Goodwin, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in GB 2002.
- Ships of Trafalgar, P. Goodwin, Conway Maritime Press, The Chrysalis Building, Bramley Rd, London, W10 6SP published in 2005,
- Fighting Ships 1750-1850,
Author: Sam Willis with an introduction by N.A.M. Rodger, Quercus Publishing Plc, 2007, ISBN 1847241719
- Frozen Fury – convoy PQ-13, (Cover Page) John Haynes, Russian translation by Captain of 1st Rank (ret) Igor Kozyr, Gangut, St.
Petersburg. ISBN 9 785904 180379
- Life on the Ocean waves, G S A Frickers, ISBN 0956910904, Published 23 May 2011
- Others include books in India, in Dubai (Published Bloomsbury and Quercus Publishing PLC) and 3 in progress at time of writing including a bi lingual version of ‘Picturesque Wine Villages of Bordeaux’.
Some of the other websites his work appears on are:
- and numerous commercial sites such as:
Gordon Frickers Art
Fine art from recognised artists has consistently proven to be one of the very best investments.
You can purchase securely (in installments by arrangement) online or bank to bank and are covered by a (probably) unbeatable guarantee.
There are several qualities that bind the work of this versatile artist including remarkable sensitivity and an intense sense of searching for meaningful response, qualities shared with predecessors Frickers admires.
Quote :Yacht “King of Hearts“: “It is already giving me great pleasure and reminding me to make more time available for the joy of sailing” ~ C.R. King
Gordon Frickers is also special:
- Because of the range and depth of his knowledge of painting, drawing and of marine subjects
- Because he benefits from the creativity of working in parallel on two approaches
- Because Gordon Frickers has a special form of colour vision
You can learn more by viewing examples of Gordon Frickers art work using the drop downs on the menu galleries above and by generally exploring this 600 pages + web site resource, welcome, enjoy.
Gordon Frickers © August 2013
Gordon Frickers at St Emilion Aug 2013
Gordon Frickers at Antibes, July 2009
Gordon Frickers at St Malo, April 2009
Helming Toybox, June 2006
Gordon Frickers 1988
Gordon Frickers in West Morning News 9 July 2005
The last boat Gordon Frickers built (1998)
The last boat Gordon Frickers built – interior
Gordon Frickers on watch, Maria Asumpta, North Sea
Gordon Frickers at work on board Maria Asumpta
Gordon Frickers at work with sunflowers, painted by Jill Lane
Gordon Frickers Age 3
Sir R Knox-Johnston & Gordon Frickers 27 Sep 2002
Gordon Frickers Self Portrait, May 1966